Sports massage is targeted and systematic, focusing on muscles used in a specific sport. It employs a variety of techniques to reduce muscle pain and improve recovery, as well as to increase the overall range of motion and flexibility to facilitate safe and effective movement.
What is a sports massage?
Sports massage is manual muscle manipulation intended specifically to assist those who lead physically demanding lives or engage in physically demanding hobbies. That means A sports massage is a type of massage that is used to help athletes perform better and avoid injuries. Sports massage is targeted and methodical, focusing on muscles engaged in a certain sport. It employs a variety of treatments to reduce muscular discomfort and promote healing, as well as to increase the total range of motion and flexibility to facilitate safe and effective movement.
What are the benefits of sports massage?
When there are so many other types of massages available, why would someone pick this particular form of sports therapy? Sports competitions, organized competitions, and strenuous exercise may be taxing on the body. A deep tissue massage, for example, is used to alleviate chronic pain and stress. This may be good in general, but sports massage treatment is specially designed to assist and enhance the performance, recuperation, and relaxation of persons who are often and/or extremely physically active (usually athletes).
- Increased joint range of motion (ROM)
- Increased muscle blood flow
- Raised muscle temperature
- Increased flexibility
- Decreased muscle tension
- Decreased neurological excitability (nerves more relaxed)
- Decreased muscle spasms
- Increased elimination of exercise waste products (lactic acid)
- Decreased chance of injury
- Decreased recovery time between workouts
- Increased lymph flow and the removal of toxins from the muscles
- Break down of adhesions and scar tissue which builds up over time causing tension
- Physiological and psychological preparation for a race or event
- A positive sense of wellbeing, relaxation and lowered stress levels.
- Improved sleep patterns.
- Decreased anxiety and improved mood
A sports massage therapist can help you achieve your training, rehabilitation, and pre- or post-performance goals. While elite and amateur athletes frequently seek sports massage, anyone who regularly exercises can benefit from it as well.